Want to start juicing for a healthier 2016 but not sure how?
Most of us will be aiming for a healthier New Year after the holiday indulgences and an easy way to ensure this is by juicing, especially vegetables. In fact BANT’s (The British Association for Applied Nutrition and Nutritional Therapy) latest guidelines are 5 vegetables and 2 fruits a day to support optimal health so if you got a juicer or blender for Christmas but are not sure how to start, here is a quick and easy guide to help you:
- Start with a base of vegetables which have a high water content such as celery or cucumber.
- Select 2 handfuls from a number of alkalising vegetables including:
spinach, kale, broccoli, cabbage, avocado, chard and romaine/cos lettuce.
- Add small handful of herbs or tsp of spices for added taste and additional health benefits together such as ginger, cinnamon, mint, coriander, or parsley.
- Add a whole lemon or lime (peel and pith removed) or just the juice or a peeled and cored apple/pear for sweetness.
- Put all the ingredients into the juicer or blender making sure to put the more watery base of vegetables/fruits around the alkalising vegetables.
- Juice/blend at highest level, add water if required and juice/blend again until you have a smoothie –like consistency.
- Drink that day, either with straw or just as it is.
ENJOY YOUR JOURNEY TO OPTIMAL HEALTH!